Sunday, May 8, 2011

Much Progress.....

I finished last time saying that we had laid another three points for the layout in the few days following the Narrow Gauge Convention.

But the following weekend was the Labour Day long weekend – time for the annual Australian Model Railway Association’s Miniature Train Show at the RNA Showgrounds. This was the thirty-fourth year of this exhibition.

Raymond and I acted on security duties over the three days. This did not give me much time to admire the layouts or take photographs even though I had my camera with me each day.

Raymond and I now had the week following the Miniature Train Show off as holidays as my youngest daughter was getting married on the Friday. Tuesday, was a day of rest after having been on our feet pretty much from 6:00 am to 5:00 pm each of the previous three days. However, Wednesday we spent wiring and laying the track in the freight yard section of our first station and yard.
Looking along the yard from the front to the back. The two points on the left have still to be wired and installed and then the two middle tracks extended.

Another view of the yard.

Thursday morning was spent mowing the grass, getting haircuts, and buying shoes for the forthcoming wedding. Thursday afternoon was spent running two additional bus wires along the length of the layout and then attaching the dropper wires from the track to the Bus Wires using IDP (Suitcase) Connectors. We also installed the Cobalt point motors to the three points we had installed the previous week.
Who said the wiring for DCC is simpler than DC? A view of the Cobalt motors and Suitcase Connectors

An NCE Switch8 points’ decoder unit previously ordered from Austral Modelcraft was available at their stand at the Miniature Train Show.
The NCE Switch8 installed

The wedding went off very well and my daughter looked stunning. My speech, as Father of the Bride was well received and got a lot of laughs.

Saturday, 7 May was a bit of a washout as Raymond had to go to his grandparents house to help clean it up ready for sale.

Sunday 8 May we continued work on the layout with Raymond installing the NCE Switch8 and wiring the three latest points we had installed. The eight points at the yard throat are now all wired through the Switch8 with nine points wired up altogether. We ran trains through all the yard sidings to test the points and the track. Everything was perfect which pleased me a great deal and I think Raymond even more.
Another view of the wiring under the layout

With the nine points under power, a set of lighted Bachmann Jackson & Sharp coaches and several locos on the track it was only drawing 0.3 amp. A lot different to the other decoders we had tried.
K-37 No.499 tests out the pointwork.

We have a further two points to install at the left-hand end of the yard and one set of points in the Carriage Sidings. We are looking forward to next weekend when we hope to complete this work.

We are now thinking scenery for this first yard and I am planning out the purchase of timber, steel brackets and supports for the next section of the layout, which will be across the back wall and then along the right-hand side of the shed.

No comments:

Post a Comment